Board of Directors
Our Board is made up of parents and business people passionately interested in education. We are a local, grass roots group, with board members living in Chapel Hill, Hillsborough and Mebane.
The board’s job is to oversee the school’s big picture. The board is tasked to do the following:
- Number One Goal: Assure the school is fulfilling it’s mission as stated in the school’s charter
- To oversee and manage the school’s budget and assure financial accountability and fiscal responsibility
- To approve school spending above an approved limit and make budgetary decisions regarding financial allocations
- To create and revise school policy as needs arise
- To hire and evaluate the Director of Education and Curriculum
- To recruit and select board members as outlined in the charter bylaws
- To analyze student performance on standardized testing and help identify areas for school-wide improvement.
- To work with the directors to move forward with school-wide improvement efforts
- To manage facility expansion and facility decisions. To approve (within the lease parameters) any facility or grounds improvements.
- To conduct final approvals for director-selected staffing needs including setting salaries.
The board does not manage day-to-day school operations such as lunch, car circle, staffing concerns, teaching methods, recess, etc. Please direct feedback about day-to-day operations to the school directors.To contact the Board, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Andy Finkle (Bio coming soon):
Bessie Mbadugha (Bio coming soon):
Mrs. Carbre is an Account Manager for SCANA Energy Marketing, Inc. She currently provides leadership and management for the successful promotion and sale of services to 100+ industrial and commercial customers. She has 20+ years experience in the Energy business and holds a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Francis Marion University. She has earned the President’s Circle Award for 3 consecutive years and continues to participate in various levels of leadership training on an annual basis.
Terri enjoys spending time with her family and friends and she is passionate about community outreach. She volunteers weekly at Independent Animal Rescue, supports and attends fundraisers for Big Brothers, Big Sisters of the Triangle, participates in outreach efforts at her church, supports and contributes to various charities, including United Way, NC Equality, The Human Rights Campaign and, in support of teachers, she is involved and attends many school functions at her daughter’s school.
Steve Holdaway: Chairman
Mr. Holdaway, Michigan Engineering /DePaul MBA in Finance has worked in staff and executive positions for over 25 years at Amoco Oil and GlaxoSmithKline. The last 10 years, Mr. Holdaway has worked in the start-up business arena and is the President and Founder of Academy Solar (renewable energy design and installation) and President of Technovashun (privately held company that is designing medical mobility assistance products for persons who are disabled/wheelchair confined).
Mr. Holdaway was the CEO of ZyCare Inc (medical software) which he sold to Inverness Medical Innovations (now Alere). He is on the Board of Directors of SharedVue, a Raleigh marketing technology company and on the advisory Board of Integrated BioChem, a chemistry/biological technology company doing research in the area of converting bio waste to energy. He is excited to serve on the Board of Directors of The Expedition School.
Ms. Hatcher graduated from Tuskegee Institute receiving a Bachelor of Arts, Elementary Education. She has taught third through sixth grades in traditional, multi-age, and looping settings for 34 years. She retired in July, 2012, last serving in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro School District for 28 years.
She is a board member of the non-profit organization Pregnancy Support Services(PSS), a volunteer tutor twice a week, a long standing Sunday School teacher, and a Blue Ribbon Task Force Mentor. Velinda enjoys reading, musicals,scrapbooking, spending time with friends and family, and learning new things.
Next Board Meeting
Next Board Meeting 8/28 then, the Last Thursday of each month. If this date is a school holiday, then the board will meet the Thursday before.
Location: 437 Dimmocks Mill Rd, Hillsborough, NC 27278. Conference room.
Previous Meetings Minutes:
Board Minutes 3/13/14
Board Minutes 2/27/14
Board Minutes 1/12/14
Board Minutes 1/9/14
Board Minutes 11/11-19/13
Board Minutes 10/6/2013
Board Minutes 9/4/13
Board Minutes 8/15/13
Board Minutes 6/2013